Saint Francis Xavier Parish was founded in 1912, originally functioning as a “mission parish” of Saint Joseph in Waterloo, WI. Father Francis Xavier Hess (for whom the parish was named) was the pastor of Saint Joseph and recognized the calling to fill the sacramental needs of Catholics in Lake Mills. He celebrated the first Mass on Christmas Day, 1911 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Atwood.
In 1915, the land and home on which the current parish center resides was purchased and intended to be used as a rectory. The second story of the home was converted into a chapel with seating capacity of about 100 people. The first mass was celebrated there on February 13, 1916. The current church building was constructed and dedicated on July 4, 1934. The then 50-family community celebrated Mass on Sunday and Wednesday. The parish’s first resident pastor, Fr. Robert Hoeller, began in 1944 and celebrated daily Mass. In 1964, the parish bought property across the street from the church and created the (still existing) parking lot. The Catechetical Center was built in 1966.
In 1972, the faceted glass “Bursting Pomegranate” was installed above the sanctuary. At the parish centennial in 2012, emeritus pastor Father Robert Hughes prayed, “…that our efforts may bear fruit unto good as have the efforts of the parishioners who have gone before us.”
In 2015, St. Francis Xavier and St. Mary Magdalene were merged to become St. Gabriel Parish. As of October 1, 2024, St. Francis Xavier and St. Mary Magdalene were no longer canonically merged as St. Gabriel and St. Francis Xavier and St. Mary Magdalene merged with St. Bernard and St. Henry in Watertown to become St. Thérèse of Lisieux Parish.